Temple Emanuel – Early Childhood Center Director
The Temple Emanuel Early Childhood Center (TEECC) is seeking a director to build upon our decade of excellence and who will lead the center forward. TEECC is an inclusive preschool community in Kensington, Maryland. Our approach is based upon an intertwining of Jewish values, notably Tikkun Olam (Healing the World), and the Reggio Emilia values of child-centered discovery, growth, and love of learning. Our new director will institute their vision of teaching and learning within these values. They will work with a TEECC Board to oversee a program in which 24-month to pre-Kindergarten students thrive, and all families are welcomed into the Temple Emanuel community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
A successful director will:
- Utilize their vision, principles consistent with the Jewish values and mission of the Temple, and the foundational guidance of the Reggio approach to childhood discovery to create a safe and flourishing community for preschool students and their families.
- Partner with parents through timely and thoughtful communication, from regular emails on up to individual meetings that provide support for the individual learning needs of each family.
- Demonstrate leadership and the highest standards of professional conduct to recruit, retain, and professionally develop an outstanding faculty and staff of educators and to meet Maryland state standards for licensing, record keeping, and external reporting.
- Maintain, in partnership with Temple Emanuel’s ECC Board, an approach to teaching and learning in which the Director and the TEECC community as a whole seeks continuous improvement through evaluation, solicited feedback, and review and analysis of results.
- Work with Temple Emanuel’s ECC Board to make sure that director and staff stay abreast of literature, best practices and developments in the field, and Reggio Emelia concepts so that TEECC’s curriculum is consistent with Jewish values and remains a local, regional, and national leader.
- Create a strong community of families, children and staff connected through individual, class and school-wide relationships, while building engagement within the Temple Emanuel community as a whole.
Specific Director Responsibilities include, and are not limited to:
- Oversee the safe, child-centered, day-to-day operation of the school.
- Recruit and welcome families to the TEECC community and maintain a high level of knowledge of resources available to support the needs of all TEECC families.
- Supervise and mentor all staff in close coordination with a leadership team of the Assistant Director, Pedagogista and Atelierista.
- Partner with families by providing educational parent meetings, including the organization of parent-teacher conferences, and offering opportunities for family involvement in the program, per the community-building values of Reggio Emilia.
- Partner with the ECC Board to develop the annual budget; is responsible for careful fiscal management of operations within that budget.
- Partner with Temple Clergy to support the introduction of Jewish values and celebrating of Jewish holidays in a welcoming manner, consistent with an inclusive learning community.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned by the ECC Board.
Americans with Disabilities Act: Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Lifting, carrying and transporting program materials as needed.
Lifting preschool and kindergarten age children as needed.
Evening and weekend work required.
Participation in meetings and events throughout the building and grounds.
Extensive phone and computer use.
Required Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Early Childhood Education or related field.
- Meets all of the State of Maryland Early Childhood Director criteria.
- Has a sound knowledge of and demonstrable passion for the Reggio Emilia approach to learning.
- At least 3 years’ experience as a high level education administrator, with a history of effective teaching, personnel management and supervision, and hiring practices.
- Early childhood: 3 years
- Supervisory: 5 years
- Reggio Emilia: 1 year
Authorizations, Location, and Compensation
The primary worksite will be at Temple Emanuel in Kensington, Maryland. Employee must be able to provide their own transportation to the daily worksite in Kensington and to periodic activities within the Greater Washington Region. Travel outside of the Greater Washington Region may be required on an occasional basis, such as for professional development opportunities.
This is a full-time employment position. Temple Emanuel offers a competitive salary and a full range of professional benefits. Prior to hiring, references will be contacted, and a background check will be completed.
Please send an electronic copy of your cover letter and resume to TEECCsearch@templeemanuelmd.org with the subject line “Director of ECC.”
This position is available to begin as early as August 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.