About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, Maryland, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (Byachad) We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh vHaGuf) We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
The Bender JCCs Finance Department is in the process of rebuilding its team. This role is an opportunity to bring your unique experiences and skills to strengthen our work at the Bender JCC. The Senior Accountant responsibilities include reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining general ledger and preparing month-end close procedures. The Senior Accountant works under the supervision of the Controller and will assist streamlining and improvement of our financial processes.
- Review for accuracy and post on a daily basis revenue batches imported from subsidiary database.
- Monitor and audit general ledger postings including revenue and expense accounts and prepare correcting journal entries as needed.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and various general ledger accounts to supporting audit schedules.
- Maintain the fixed assets records including physical inventory.
- Prepare journal entries as assigned.
- Review the on-line operating account for EFT and provide information to relevant data entry staff.
- Compile and maintain cash flow report.
- Serve as accounting department liaison for merchant services and related transactions.
- Handle chargebacks and customer disputes.
- Assist the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer, Controller, and the outside CPA Audit Firm in the audit of organization’s financial and programmatic operations, prepare audit schedules as assigned.
- Experienced with computerized financial systems. You have worked with a variety of accounting applications and have exposure to membership databases.
- Familiar with accounting fundamentals. You understand the procedure of data entry, recording, summarizing, analyzing, and reporting the operations of a business entity over an accounting period. You keep abreast of current trends, practices and developments in the accounting profession.
- Detail oriented. You pay close attention to all the small particulars when working on a task or project while looking for ways to increase efficiency.
- A self-starter. You are hands on, energetic and motivated to set and achieve goals.
- A collaborative team player. You have a positive attitude and ability to interact with all levels of the organization. You enjoy learning from and with talented colleagues and are excited to be part of the success of the finance department and the whole organization.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work, and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape donor, member, and staff experiences.
You should have:
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years experience in accounting department or other financial environment with working knowledge of non-profit accounting.
- Non-profit experience preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge of generally acceptable accounting principles (GAAP) required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with intermediate Excel skills required.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload to meet multiple deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Customer service orientation with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Jewish community a plus.
- Ability to perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned.
- Required COVID-19 vaccination.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position, with a salary between $60,000 and $65,000, commensurate with experience. The Bender JCC provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision benefits, and a flexible working environment. You’ll also receive a full family membership to the Bender JCC, including complete access to the entire fitness facility and pools, plus staff discounts on programs and services.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
Please apply through our website.