Congregation Sha’are Shalom (CSS) seeks an experienced educator with excellent management and communication skills to become the Interim Director of its Jewish religious school program for students in kindergarten through high school. The Interim Director will work with the Rabbi, Executive Director, Administrative Assistant, and religious school staff to implement the current curriculum, and collaborate with the Religious School Transition Committee to develop a new, updated program. This is a temporary, one-year, part-time position, with the opportunity to apply to a subsequent permanent part-time position.
• Commit to 20 hours of work per week, to include availability during religious school (Sunday morning and Wednesday late afternoon) and presence at Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremonies (select
• Supervise the teaching staff, Administrative Assistant, and Kadima and USY Youth Advisor
• Collaborate with the Administrative Assistant to create religious school newsletters and other communications
• Train teenage teaching assistants (madrichim) at the start of the fall school term
• Attend and help conduct class Shabbat services (select Friday evenings or Saturday mornings), monthly Shabbat morning family services, and High Holiday family services
• Bachelor’s degree in education; Master’s degree preferred
• 3 to 5 years of experience in education or a related field
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including the effective use of social media
• Experience with standard office technology and applications, including Microsoft Office and Google Suite
• Expertise working with students in kindergarten through high school with a variety of abilities and learning styles
• Experience working in a collaborative, nonprofit environment
• Experience managing a departmental budget
• Familiarity with Conservative-affiliated Jewish religious services for youth and adults
Congregation Sha’are Shalom is a modern Conservative synagogue, blending traditional Jewish heritage and ritual with a modernized twist that matches the changing needs of our Loudoun County community. CSS is a diverse congregation that welcomes members across a wide range of Jewish upbringings, sexual orientations, gender identities, races, and interfaith families.
The Congregation Sha’are Shalom Religious School strives to provide a meaningful, comprehensive Jewish education to all students in a nurturing environment, with an emphasis on experiential learning. Key components of the religious school program include:
• Fostering Jewish values, morals, and ethics
• Instilling students with a sense of belonging to local, national, and global Jewish communities
• Helping students develop a feeling of pride in their Jewish identity and heritage
• Fostering the concept of mitzvot (good deeds) as an everyday part of life
• Developing the Hebrew skills and knowledge of prayer and Torah in order to be called to the
Torah as a bar or bat mitzvah
Please email your resume to email@example.com, subject Job Inquiry RS.