The Finance Assistant position is a full time, nonexempt, hourly position reporting directly to the Director of Finance. The Finance Assistant is responsible for routine accounting functions, administrative tasks and special projects related to BCF’s Finance and Administration department. The Finance Assistant is required to perform the responsibilities of the position accurately, in a timely manner and with strict confidentiality. A basic knowledge of accounting, ability to conduct independent research, strong organizational skills, and the ability to communicate well with staff in all departments of the organization are essential to the success of the position.Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Finance Assistant is responsible for routine accounting functions, administrative tasks and special projects related to BCF’s Finance and Administration department. The Finance Assistant is required to perform the responsibilities of the position accurately, in a timely manner and with strict confidentiality. A basic knowledge of accounting, ability to conduct independent research, strong organizational skills, and the ability to communicate well with staff in all departments of the organization are essential to the success of the position.
- Obtain W-9 records for new vendors, setup and maintain vendor records including GL defaults and 1099 reporting as applicable
- Obtain vendor and grantee ACH information, setup under dual control with either the Development and Donor Services or Community Investment departments.
- Process accounts payable item entry including vendor invoices, check requests and expense reimbursements
- Process ACH “check” entries to generate ACH upload file, send backup to Director and VP for ACH import and approval, and maintain ACH batch records including approvals
- Print checks and tag for 2nd signatures
- Scan signed checks and file with electronic backup
- Upload check file for positive pay to on-line treasury management
- Record postage usage on a quarterly basis
- Setup monthly credit card workbook for card holders to code transactions, collect backup for transactions
- Provide back up for gifts and grants processing
- Process incoming mail under dual control, log and scan checks
- Distribution of paper mail, scan and file all investment statements
- Process bank deposit using remote deposit weekly
- Maintain corporate document and insurance policy folders
- Maintain paper documents in accordance with policy, manage relationship with storage vendor for new files, retrieval, and destruction
- Maintain document shredding process: pick-up and vendor management
- Assist in the preparation for internal and external audits, filing of personal property and 990 tax returns
- Provide administrative support for the Baltimore Women’s Giving Circle and technical support on BWGC’s membership management via MemberLeap
- Process year-end 1099 forms and related 1096 information return
- Provide mail support for quarterly fund statements, year-end donation statements
- Provide administrative support to impact investing workgroup including pipeline, due diligence, document collection, scheduling meetings
- Assist with scheduling meetings with staff, trustees, vendors, etc.
- Prepare dockets for committee meetings- Audit, Budget & Finance, Impact Investing, and Retirement Plan committees
- Take minutes at Audit, Budget & Finance, and Impact Investing committee meetings
- Assist Finance department with administrative tasks
- Assist Director of Finance and VP of Finance & Administration with special projects as assigned.
- Accounting 101, bookkeeping or 1-2 years equivalent work experience
- Finance office, cashier, or bank teller/CSR experience desired
- Experience with data entry required; accounting data entry preferred
- Experience with minutes desired
- Proficient in MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook
- High level of Microsoft Excel skills – pivot tables, filtering, graphing, functions
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and focus on task completion
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Solid organizational skills – prioritize tasks, manage workload, communicate needs well before deadlines to allow for workload sharing and backup
- Ability to work under weekly, monthly, and quarterly deadlines.
The Baltimore Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search. We strive to be trustworthy, inclusive and entrepreneurial in all we do.
We offer a competitive compensation package including benefits such as health, vision and dental insurance, retirement contribution and match, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, disability insurance, charitable match, flexible spending account, employee assistance program and more.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter by clicking here: