- Master’s degree in Jewish Education, Education, or an advanced degree in a similar field
- A minimum of five years of relevant work
- Experience in a religious school setting
- Experience with ShulCloud or similar customer management software (CMS)
- Microsoft and Google Suite expertise
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, including experience communicating with parents, students, instructors, clergy, lay leadership, and congregations
Education Director Responsibilities
- Monitor, evaluate, revise and/or create as needed curriculum for K-12 religious school (including Hebrew, Judaic Studies, Israel education, and Confirmation) in collaboration with the clergy and faculty.
- Develop a robust family education program for the religious school, in which religious school education supplements family life and develops connections between the children and the parents. Monitor, evaluate, revise and/or create as needed an inclusion program that provides accommodations for students with special needs and support for teachers serving these students.
- Introduce anti-bias education for faculty and madrichim and curriculum development on the diversity of the Jewish people.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and integration of family services, student-led services/Junior Congregation, confirmation service, class programs, youth group programs, holiday programs, school-wide programs, field trips, retreats, and special events in collaboration with clergy, faculty and staff.
- Work with clergy to lead innovative High Holiday youth programs and services
- Collaborate with the cantor and senior rabbi on the b’nei mitzvah education program, including community building activities and family education opportunities.
- Support the b’nei mitzvah program by attending b’nei mitzvah on behalf of the religious school and/or designating a representative to attend on behalf of the religious school.
- Collaborate with clergy and lay leadership to develop and implement an integrated program of formal and informal adult learning opportunities for congregants.
- Teach courses in the religious school and adult education programs.
- Work with the Inclusion Coordinator to ensure the needs of all students are met in the religious school setting, both socially and academically.
Administration and Communication
- Oversee the administration and management of the religious school, youth programs, and adult education programs including policies, registration, class schedules, special events, marketing, safety regulations, and payroll.
- In consultation with senior staff and the religious school committee, develop and maintain the calendar of the religious and adult education programs.
- Manage and coordinate internal and external communication with clergy, staff, parents, students, teachers, and congregants, including with the parent-led Religious School and Youth Committee.
- Create and coordinate family programming for grades 4-7.
- Work closely with the cantor and Hebrew Coordinator to ensure that all students in grades 4-7 are achieving prayer fluency to check off prayers prior to being matched with their B’nei Mitzvah tutor. Serve as a member of the religious school committee and provide reports when requested. Attend monthly Board of Directors’ meetings and annual meeting and provide reports as requested to the Beth El Board.
- Oversee purchasing of office supplies for teachers and student instructional materials including textbooks and multimedia.
- Communicate weekly events to staff and provide setup needs to the executive director. Organize outside transportation and other logistical support for religious school events. Maintain confidential files that include student data and reports.
- Hire, train, and supervise/evaluate school faculty, staff, youth group advisors, and madrichim. Supervise part-time administrative assistant and ensure continuous staffing of school office during school hours.
- Conduct weekly lesson plan reviews.
- Negotiate and provide a contract/letter of intent for teachers that includes salary, teaching schedule, and responsibilities during and outside of class hours.
- Observe teachers periodically (both formally and informally) and provide guidance on issues related to instruction, assessment, and classroom management.
- Create, conduct, and support orientation programs, training seminars, programming meetings, and meaningful professional development opportunities for faculty.
- Maintain personnel files that include contracts, payroll and evaluations.
- Prepare and manage the annual budget for religious school, youth programming, and adult education in conjunction with the religious school committee and executive committee.
- Manage all religious school accounting, working with the comptroller, including teacher payroll, vendor payments, and reimbursements. Supervise the religious school fund and make recommendations upon request for the student scholarship funds.
- Advise parents on scholarships and other funds available to support Jewish education and programming
- Oversee collection, accounting, and distribution of tzedakah funds collected during class.
- Oversee collection and accounting of funds collected at Sunday morning bagel/donut bar and Wednesday evening canteen; bagel bar and canteen are fully stocked and staffed.
- Write grant proposals for enhanced programming.
- Periodically attend Pozez JCC-Beth El preschool and Tot Shabbat events and provide opportunities for young families to learn about the religious school.
- Participate in professional organizations and communal initiatives (Jewish Educators Forum, ARJE, NewCAJE, etc.).
Team and Reporting Structure
The Education Director reports to the Board of Directors chairperson and the Senior Rabbi. They supervise a part time (25 – 30 hours) administrative assistant dedicated to the religious school, and hire, train, and supervise/evaluate school faculty, staff, youth group advisors, and madrichim.
Hours and Location
The position requires 40 to 50 hours per week with Mondays off. Hours are generally 10 am – 6 pm on weekdays (flexible), 8:30 am – 2:30 pm on Sundays, plus evening religious schools on Wednesdays, and periodic family services on Fridays and Saturday mornings. Remote work availability is determined by the Education Director supervisor.
Located just 7 miles south of Washington, DC, Beth El is located in vibrant Alexandria, VA. According to the 2017 Greater Washington, DC Jewish Community Demographic Study, the Greater DC Jewish community numbers nearly 300,000 Jewish adults and children, making it the third largest Jewish community in the United States. The Greater DC Jewish community’s size has grown by 37% since 2003. Northern Virginia is home to 41% of Greater DC Jews. Since 2003, the Jewish population of Northern Virginia has grown by 80%. Half of Virginia’s Jewish adults are under age 50. Coupling these demographic trends with the upcoming development of Amazon’s HQ2 in nearby Crystal City (Beth El is the nearest Reform synagogue), Beth El Hebrew Congregation is on the cusp of a generational opportunity. We are seeking an Education Director who has a bold vision and is eager to pursue
the vast opportunities available to us.
Endless cultural opportunities in the DC area range from the National Symphony Orchestra, Washington National Opera, John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts, and multiple world-class theaters to first-class sports arenas, zoos, the Smithsonian Museums, renowned historical sites, educational institutions, and beautiful natural areas, including Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive, Delaware beaches, Rock Creek Park, and countless others. Alexandria about an hour south of Baltimore, MD; 90 minutes north of Richmond, VA; 2.5 hours south of Philadelphia, PA; 3 hours west from the Atlantic coast; and 5 hours south of New York, NY. Washington, DC, boasts a robust mass transit system.
Washington Reagan National Airport is about 10 minutes from Beth El. Dulles International Airport is about one hour from Beth El.
Review the full Education Director job description on JewishJobs.com or the Association for Reform Jewish Educators.
Send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].