Position Summary: Provide educational and behavioral support to ECE students, teachers and parents.
Essential Functions of the Position:
• Ongoing observation of students in the ECE program
• Conduct educational and behavioral assessments and educational improvement plans for preschool age children.
• Provide outreach to families of incoming students with developmental issues
• Communicate verbally and in writing with parents, teachers, ECE administrators
• Meet with teachers on an ongoing basis to provide strategies for how to best meet child’s and whole-class learning needs
• Meet with parents to discuss observations and provide recommendations.
• Provide resources to teachers and parents in the process of accessing appropriate services
• Recommend resources for intervention when appropriate
• Serve as an on-site service coordinator for children receiving additional services while in ECE
• Train ECE staff in the use of the sensory room and provide feedback after usage
• Provide educational workshops to ECE staff to keep staff up to date on behavior and special needs information
• Provide ongoing consultation with Director to follow progress and interventions and services
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Have strong communication skills, both oral and written.
• Understanding of Montgomery County’s special needs resources and system of evaluation.
• Have knowledge of resources to support children and families socially, emotionally and academically.
• Knowledge of Reggio Emilia Approach to Early Childhood Education
• Ability to work various days and hours to appropriately evaluate students, meet with parents and teachers.
• Must be physically present to perform essential job functions
• Ability to move around the classroom for long periods of time
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 30lbs
Education and Experience:
• College degree in Early Childhood Development, Early Childhood Special Education, or related field
• Min. 5 year experience in the field of early childhood special education or evaluation
• Advanced degree preferred
• Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington
• Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Washington, including its Personnel Handbook, and to abide by them
• Work in a team environment.
• Communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned