Bender JCC of Greater Washington – Director of Inclusion
The Director of Inclusion will promote inclusion of all members, guests and program participants of the JCC regardless of background, religion, ability, or sexual orientation. The Director is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and reports to the VP of Youth and Family Programs. The Director will work across all departments to assist staff in providing a welcoming and inclusive environment that includes accommodations so that individuals with disabilities can fully participate. The Director will also be responsible for planning, outreach and oversight of classes and social groups specifically designed for youth, teens and adults with disabilities. The Director will be the JCC's liaison for partnering and collaborating with other organizations to create a more inclusive community.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate inclusion counselors/staff for all programs except Camp JCC
- Support the Camp JCC inclusion director in hiring, training, supervising and evaluating inclusion counselors/staff
- Plan, manage, supervise and run classes and social groups for adults with special needs
- Conduct intakes of children with disabilities applying to enroll in the after school program and other youth programs
- Match children with inclusion counselors for all youth programs when needed
- Consult with other JCC departments on working with children and adults with special needs or those requiring accommodations or additional support.
- Interview and hire staff as needed
- Maintain consistent, effective on-going, open communication with participants' group home staff, guardians, and/or parents, as well as community agencies.
- Facilitate trainings for staff and community members on disability awareness, and preventing child sexual abuse
- Oversee and grow Rockville Open House, a safe space program for LGBTQ teens
- Fulfill role in Camp JCC as designated
- Work with all departments to ensure accessibility of spaces and programs.
- Participate in event and program planning meetings with other departments to ensure accessibility, including the preschool
- Oversee the sensory room
- Create and manage the special needs budget, and work with the Camp Director to provide input for the inclusion Camp JCC budget
- Perform all related administrative tasks and functions associated with the successful operation of the programs either in self-contained or inclusive settings
- Provide content for the program brochures, website and center-wide marketing material
- Communicate with parents, staff and other agencies via phone, e-mail and in person
- Create and maintain a database of participant information for outreach purposes
- Serve as the JCC's representative and advocate at community events and programs, and on task forces that involve disabilities and inclusion
- Provide referrals to other agencies as needed
- Identify community educational needs and provide workshops as needed
- Promoting specialized and inclusive programs through social media
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Feeding, toileting and changing participants when necessary.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 35 pounds
- Availability to work some weekends and evenings
- Willingness to be outdoors for extended periods of time
- Supporting the swim and water safety of participants including physically entering the water when necessary which may include the pool, lake, river, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge and experience working with children and adults with disabilities in inclusive and self-contained programs
- Knowledge of Jewish content and programs
- Ability to communicate with individuals with disabilities, staff and parents
- Knowledge of behavioral, communication and physical assistance techniques used with people with disabilities
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in special education, inclusive education or other related field.
- A minimum of 3 years' experience working with individuals with disabilities
- Knowledge of, and respect for, the mission of the Bender JCC of Greater Washington
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Bender JCC of Greater Washington, including its Personnel Handbook, and to abide by them
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, verbally and in writing
- Ability and willingness to perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned
Please send resumes to email@example.com or apply online at https://www.benderjccgw.org/about-us/jobs/