Assistant Director Camp and Youth
- Oversee the recruitment and hiring process for camp and Club J staff, including but not limited to, sourcing of candidates, attending recruiting events, interviewing of candidates, screening of candidates, and selection of new hires.
- Collaborate with Human Resources in the creation and distribution of offer letters, the processing of new hire paperwork, and the finalization of personnel files.
- Select and train the members of the Camp Leadership Team.
- Provide daily supervision to the Camp Leadership Team during the summer, and supervise Club J staff during the school year.
- Mentor and coach counselors in best practices according to the American Camp Association and in conjunction with local licensing requirements.
- Lead staff meetings and staff orientation for over 250 camp staff.
- Collaborate with the Program Director to plan and implement quality camp programming.
- Work in collaboration with the transportation company regarding all camp transportation needs.
- Monitor programs throughout the building and grounds, including periods of time outside.
- Collaborate with Camp and Club J staff to create a quality experience for the campers and Club J participants.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor, staff, parents, and program participants verbally and in writing, including through e-mail, text, and social media.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned.
- In-person work required
- An excellent project manager. You know how to drive a high-level project from start to finish. You love setting the tone, making the plan, clarifying roles and mobilizing others to join you in systematically bringing a project to life.
- A self-starter. You are not afraid of ambiguity. You understand that it is your job to create the clarity you seek and you relish making order out of chaos.
- Comfortable managing up and laterally. You are comfortable managing up to senior leaders and helping them assess the feasibility of their big ideas, and you know how to advocate for your own ideas. You know how to create buy-in with your colleagues and spur them to action when needed.
- You believe that diversity is a strength. You account for the value of diversity in every aspect of your work and you understand the nuances of diversity that shape participants’, parents’, and staff’s experiences. You bring knowledge of Jewish content and programs to all you do.
- Innovative and grounded. You love trying new things and devising creative solutions to persistent problems. Most importantly, you know how to make it happen.
- Passionate about the work. You are motivated by the mission of the Bender JCC and you have a deep connection and desire for this work to exist in the world.
- Savvy and Intuitive. You are adept at communicating ideas to a range of stakeholders and you know that different settings often require different methods and tools.
- Collaborative. You enjoy learning from and with talented colleagues and are excited to be part of the success of Camp JCC and the whole organization.
You should have:
- Knowledge and ability to set goals, supervise and evaluate staff.
- Experience working with children in an informal educational environment.
- Ability to deal with the various situations that may arise in working with children and their parents.
- Physical ability to interact with the campers and Club J participants in their play space on the floor, at a center station, and outside on a field or playground including the physical ability to lift children up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Desire and ability to work in a team environment
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ability to maintain current CPR and first aid certifications
- Required COVID-19 vaccination
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position, with a salary between $40-45K annually, commensurate with experience. The Bender JCC provides a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision benefits, and a flexible working environment. You’ll also receive a full family membership to the Bender JCC, including complete access to the entire fitness facility and pools, plus staff discounts on programs and services.
Research shows that women and underrepresented groups apply to jobs only if they feel that they meet 100% of the qualifications. If this role sounds interesting to you, we encourage you to apply! The Bender JCC is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Please apply through our website, and submit a resume and cover letter with your application.