Want to be a Leader or Expand Your Leadership Role?
Have you been inspired to become more active in your community? Are you thinking
about ways you can make an impact on the world around you? Are you searching to
find fulfillment and meaning beyond your day job? You have come to the right portal. “V’Ahavta L’reiacha Kamocha” “Love your fellow as you love yourself.” (Leviticus 19:18) Great Rabbis believed this phrase was the summary of the entire Torah, the very basis of Judaism. Nothing is more paramount than a sense of community both through love and service. Whether you choose to serve in one project a year or as an intricately involved leader, you are a vital piece of our community.
How do you decide what to do?
The most important element of making volunteer work successful, both for you and for the community, is to align your passion with the right job. Each of us has a unique set of talents and interests which motivates us. Identify your area(s) and you will know where to begin looking for opportunities.
- Do you get worked up when hearing anti-Israel messages coming out of the press? Check out the Jewish Community Relations Council, AIPAC or EMET.
- Do you have a great idea to help young parents navigate the early childhood years? Get in touch with your synagogue, the Jewish Community Center, the Partnership for Jewish Life and Learning.
- Do you want to make your Christmas Day break meaningful by assisting others? Call the Washington DCJCC or Jconnect to find out about volunteer opportunities.
Don’t feel pressured to know what you want right away. Test the waters. Any part of the community is happy to have your assistance. Try a few options, and then you will find you will get more deeply involved in the ones that resonate with you. The only important thing is to –
Everything we do affects our world. Why not do something that makes the world a better place? Love and service to our community, that’s our Jewish value.
How do I take the first step?
There are a number of ways to begin (or expand) your journey:
We are excited about having your passion and commitment in our community.
- Peruse through the portal to see what sparks your interest.
- Identify a need in your community that you wish to work on. Match your vision with an organization that can help.
- Think about your talents. Is there a particular expertise you can contribute to the community? Where would that talent be most appreciated?
- If you have a day free, consider volunteering at one of the volunteer sites. It’s a good way to make an immediate contribution to the world.
- If you are unsure of where to start, call upon resources. Who do you know who is already working in the community? Call the Leadership Institute at the Jewish Federation. Meet with a community expert to align yourself with opportunities or people who can assist you further.